Sunday 28 September 2014

16-Sept: South Africa - Maputaland (Sodwana Bay Lodge)

In Sodwana Bay there was the option to go deep-sea fishing. While it did pique my interest and curiosity, my main worry was that it would involve eight hours at sea in a possibly uncovered boat (and I'd slowly cook to death). Sure enough, it turned out there was only a small little canopy aboard the vessel in question. Hmmm, think I'll give it a skip then guys - with the weather scorching outside from 9am, I'd best case scenario end up looking like a lobster or worst case scenario end up with heat stroke and need hospitalization, haha I'm not a drama-queen at all at all.

Karen and myself instead opted to take a microlight flight over the bay. Kirsten very kindly offered to drive us to the airfield. Pete had taken the pickup to the beach with the deep-sea fishers, so that left us with the Quantum. Halfway through the journey, Kirsten was gritting her teeth as she maneuvered the minibus up sandy dunes praying not to get bogged. Cue the world's laziest dog plonked right in the middle of the road with no notion of giving way. Only when Kirsten had turned off the engine and opened the van door did the mutt skedaddle. Luckily we made it to the airfield without incident.

A South African called Francois was our pilot for the morning. While me and Karen dithered over who went up first "I don't mind", "Do you want to go first", "Sure I can, but I don't mind if you want to", Francois decided for us with a throwaway comment "I'll take the skinny one first". All three of us just gaped in horror at this tactless remark. Ye-ouch, Saffas are a wee bit brash alright.

For those who are curious and unsure, a microlight is basically a hang-glider attached to a giant two-seater tricycle with a massive motorized fan on the back. So folks, today I am an aviator! Boo-yea!! Seat-belt fastened, check! Ear-muffs on, check! Intercom is faulty so we'll have to yell to communicate. Tinted visor on, check! Right, I'm all set, let's roll.

We line up on the runway, Francois does all his checks. Take your time mate, don't want anything going wrong up in the air as in this flimsy contraption, we'll have no protection whatsoever. Although to be fair, even if the engine fails, we'll simply glide to ground (I hope!). Anyhoo, checks complete, everything looks good, and we're off. Takeoff was perfect, just started soaring up after a short runway. Gliding effortlessly through the air, 55 km/hr according to the dials. As the wind is buffeting at my face I have unobstructed 360 degree views of my surroundings - DAMN! This is how to fly people!!

To begin with we flew over farmland, seeing villages, herds of zebra and cattle. This is all quite lovely but to the coast my good sir, to the coast. There I discover that Francois was great at spotting animals in the sea. We come across whales (and see two breaches), turtles, a pod of dolphins, rays, large shoals of yellow fish and the pièce de résistance a humpback and her calf. Oh my god, this is INCREDIBLE!! What a way to view marine life. You are close enough not to need binoculars, and far away enough that you do not disturb the animals so they continue about their merry way completely oblivious to your voyeurism. I cannot begin to rabbit on about how stunning the views of Sodwana Bay were. (Sigh!) I want a microlight! I need a microlight in my life!!

Francois turned to me and indicated that we were going to go down. I gave him a thumbs up and we slowly descended to only 5m above the ground, I felt as though I could run my fingers on the sand as we zipped along the beach. Frightened crabs scuttled sideways into the surf in order to hide from us. Sadly time is up and we must return to the hanger.

We arrive back at the lodge and the pool seductively beckons. I am delighted to discover that I have it all to myself today - a little slice of paradise. Sun-bathing and swimming, and just doing diddly are the order of business for the afternoon for me. Karen, Sue, Jim and Kirsten head back to the beach to go snorkeling.

Lunchtime hunger rouses me from my haven and I make my way back to the lodge. There I find a bloodied Sue (and Jim - although all his wounds are covered up). They ran into a spot of trouble in the rough water and bashed off rocks. Sue was fished out of the ocean by a burly bloke in budgie smugglers who took great care in lathering coconut oil over her leg wounds. Poor Jim wasn't given a look in and had to fend for himself. Bless him!

News then filtered through that the fishermen were on route home victorious. Lu only went an caught the biggest fish (as promised for the girls!), a giant King Mackerel weighing in at about 18kg as reckoned by the skipper. Pete wrestled with a hammerhead for over half an hour before reeling him to the side of the boat and releasing. Skip-jacks and tuna were also caught. All four had tall tales, pics and cheesy grins, but Lu had bragging rights - and I've a sneaky feeling this won't be the last we've heard of this. The journey out sounded like quite the white-knuckle ride, I'm now quite satisfied that I chose well in my day's activities.

Sumptuous King Mackerel on the menu tonight lads!!!

 

 









No comments:

Post a Comment