Sunday 28 September 2014

01-Sept: Cork/London

Arrived at Cork airport and deposited my bag off at the Bag and Drop desk, headed to security where my self-printed boarding pass did not register on their system. Lady tried both barcodes to no avail. “I’m sorry but you’ll have to go down to the check-in desks and ask them to print you a new boarding card.” Great! Ambled back down to the Aer Lingus desks and explained the situation. New boarding pass printed so let’s take a second stab at this. No problem and straight through security. Cork London flight was uneventful and not too busy – my kind of flight.

Landed into Heathrow terminal 2, collected my bag and made my way to terminal 5. By checking in online last night, I cheekily hoped that I would be able to ditch my bag at the Bag and Drop and then stroll around the airport beyond security for the 6-hour wait. Sadly Bag and Drop adheres to the same rules as regular check-in and the airline will not take your bag until 3 hours before your flight. Devilish plan foiled. Great! There’s not a lot to do in Heathrow when you are stranded at the check-in area. Twiddling your thumbs gets you so far, but isn’t very satisfactory (have I mentioned that I’m terrible at airport waiting? – definitely one of my pet peeves). Anyhoo, after five mins of thumb twiddling, I wandered into Carluccio’s for an extremely leisurely lunch and had two glasses of Pinot Grigio to take the edge off. Plus I figured if any further thumb twiddling was necessary it might seem more amusing after the consumption of fermented grapes…

As soon as the clock indicated it was three hours before my flight I was back at the Bag and Drop grinning ecstatically at being able to dump my rucksack. Unencumbered by my load I made my way to security where again they could not read my self-printed boarding card. (Note to self: get new printer, or maybe just stop using recycled paper). Back to the check-in desks again I was sent. Thankfully it was still quite early and there was not much of a queue. New boarding pass issued and I safely traversed through security the second time. 

Right, after all that thumb twiddling I was really quite exhausted and in need of some liquid refreshment from Giraffe (who do exceedingly good cocktails!). Grabbed myself a nice table where I could people-watch to my heart’s content. Getting caught doing so is quite awkward, especially if you are obviously doing nothing else, just sitting at an empty table. Need to have at least a glass in hand to be able to acknowledge the spot with a resigned nod and glass lift. Ergo, “Waiter!”. First up was an Apple & Elderflower Martini - light, refreshing and zingy, definitely one of my favs! Hmmm, that lady’s waffle with choc, banana and ice-cream that just crossed my line of vision looks, and smells, very appealing, “Waiter!”. One choc waffle later and I’m ready for a Mango & Lime Daiquiri. (Noelette I only had that in your honour, as I know you would be disgusted if I went to Giraffe and did not do a quality control test for you…) .  

Still have a bit of time before I need to locate my boarding gate, time to pull out the Kindle I think. I’m currently reading Bill Bryson’s “I'm a Stranger Here Myself” which is a collection of short articles. I started his article “A Visit to the Barbershop”, and proceeded to fall into a fit of hysterics at his musings. Seriously I was inconsolable from laughter, and got a few funny looks from customers. At one point my eyes flooded up with tears and I could no longer read as the text was just a blurry mess. I had to put the Kindle aside in order to recompose myself. Few deep breaths, I gathered myself together and started re-reading the article only to befall a similar giggling experience seconds later. 

Now I’m not saying that this article is the funniest thing since sliced bread. But Mr. Bryson is an incredibly witty writer (kinda similar to Douglas Adams) and that together with the amalgamation of completely identifying with the subject matter, the long wait, the tasty alcohol, the idea of catching up with long-lost-travel buddies and heading back to Africa, and I was lost to a state of giggling wreck, and didn’t care. Finally I managed to finish the article and with a general feeling of mirth, I made my way to the now listed boarding gate.  Another uneventful, not too busy flight to Jo’burg awaited me.  Roll on tomorrow and the start of this hopefully epic holiday!

(Just in case anyone is curious, here is a link to an online version of the article in question http://www.angelfire.com/ma/phrog220/read/barbershop.html - that is funny right??)

No comments:

Post a Comment